Monday, March 17, 2008

Address Me

In Brunei, the proper form of address is quite important and any transgression is not just a social faux pas but can cause much discomfort to all concerned. I must admit I only knew about the "pehin-kaola", "pengiran-peramba" etc. stuff when I started work. Before that I used the rather inapproriate "kau-aku". I haven't had the chance to use "Hamba Kebawah Duli Tuan Patik" yet but I live in hope of actually conversing with His Majesty one day.
Court etiquette also demands the proper address when speaking to Judges and other lawyers. Your opponent will always be referred to as a "learned friend" even if he/she is not learned and is not your friend. Some lawyers I know manage to make it sound as "laknat friend" and getting way with it!
Judges in the High Court and the Court of Appeal are referred to as "His Lordship" or "His Ladyship". When addressing the court, a sentence will usually begin with "My Lord / My Lady" or if the lawyer feels rather posh "M'Lud / M'Lady". This is of course a legacy from when actual Law Lords sat to hear cases. When local judges are referred to in this way, it does sound rather strange.
Magistrates on the other hand are referred to as "Your Honour". If one speaks in Malay, judges and magistrates may be universally referred to as "Yang Arif". I often wonder how to address a "Pehin" sitting as a High Court judge. Will it be "My Lord Pehin" or "My Pehin Lord" or "Kaola Lord Pehin" or something else?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha Ha...that is so hilarious papa law ;-)the malay phrase Yang arif has to be the easiest.

Anonymous said...

Remind me of the old English plays or movies...Shakespeare..Macbeth. Good one papalaw.

Anonymous said...

From an Islamic point of view, calling someone 'My Lord' is in appropriate.